Forms:

News:

A resource and chat room for guests from Ukraine to the United Kingdom

Main Menu

Recent posts

What food for guests?   Noted elsewhere ...

QuoteIf often comes up in this group what foods to buy for guests arriving. Most people, like us, have asked our guests before they arrived and been told they will be happy with anything (I asked several times). So I set about buying all the things recommended on Facebook pages. A lot has gone untouched. This is were its impossible to say what 'Ukrainians like to eat', in the same way I don't have same diet as my next door neighbour.

All the beautiful fresh breads I bought were only eaten by us. They wanted the bog standard white sliced loaf. Coffee drinker, not tea. Child drinks tea but with nothing in it (I have a lovely big bowl of decorative lemons), LOVES cheddar cheese, going to have to take out shares. Pasta - calls it vermicelli but It's more like macaroni wanted (eats plain or in soup). Eggs, chicken fillets, Turkey mince (can't find chicken mince), potatoes, onion, carrot, oranges, ritz crackers, raisins, cheese pizza, cherry tomato, fruit yoghurt have all been picked this week. Butter hasn't been used, lurpak spreadable has in abundance for all the cheese sandwiches.

My point is not to follow my list (apart from to let them try chedder cheese!) but don't go to a lot of time and expense sourcing loads of things or getting in a load of Polish food, sour cream, plain Greek yoghurt, German sliced meat ...etc🫣. Buy simple and trip out together to supermarket the next day. It has been a hectic week since they arrived as I've been working full time, have a toddler, filling out sooo many forms every night to help them and tours of the area- so I haven't had much time to cook from scratch but my lasagna was demolished, so try out all your normal family meals too.

Most importantly they are settling in well, you can see the stress leaving them as the week goes on and we are loving having them share our home.
————
We had the same, cheddar cheese a big hit. Our lady says they eat quiche and sausages and mash in Ukraine, meats and potatoes. Taking her to the supermarket was the best thing I did.
————
Similar experience. In this case, I'm taking out shares in jam , biscuits and chocolate.
Here are three four five six for starters - Chippenham, Bradford-on-Avon and Corsham. Please add or let me know of others!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/850529712395726/posts/1136458573802837/
Chippenham - 23 Borough Parade, SN15 4WL "Please do not forget we are here on Wednesday's for the Ukrainian Friendship Group from 10am to 12 Noon.  This is for Hosts and Families to come and meet and have a tea or coffee."
4,11,18,25 May
1,8,16,22,29 June

https://www.facebook.com/groups/973463510019423/posts/994547527911021/
"Pleased to announce the launch of BoA Ukrainian Club running weekly from Monday 9th May. Ukrainians in our town and local area are welcome to drop in for tea and cake and help with any everyday issues they have". Timing - 15:30 to 17:30.  At The Hub @ BA15, Church Street, Bradford on Avon, BA15 1LS
9,16,23,30 May
6,13,20,27 June

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ukraine2uk/posts/493765062479013
"We would like to host a party/picnic/bbq for all the Ukrainians and their host that live in or around Corsham on Sunday 15th May."
15 May

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ukraine2uk/posts/498821798640006/
Music for Ukraine, St Andrews Church, Chippenham, SN15 3HT, 3pm
7 May

https://www.facebook.com/groups/349224093797359/posts/375499227836512/
"Celebrating all that is good about Ukraine.  Hosted by our wonderful guests, an opportunity for Ukraines in Calne to meet and talk.  Families welcome." 18:30 at At Colemans Farm Community Centre, SN11 8PF
14 May

https://ocm.wiltshire.gov.uk/chippenham/coffee-mornings-for-ukrainians-in-chippenham-area/
and https://nextdoor.co.uk/p/KKfbxb2tKqdz?view=detail
The Rotary Club of Chippenham is planning to host some coffee mornings for Ukrainians who have moved to the area
so that they can meet and exchange information with other Ukrainians and make some new friends.
The coffee mornings are free of charge and host families are welcome to attend as well.
They are being held in the ROTARY HALL STATION HILL CHIPPENHAM SN15 1EG From 10 a.m.
7, 14, 21, 28 May
4 June

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ukraine2uk/posts/501924248329761/
U_MEET (Ukraine-Melksham Encounter and Events Team)
For anyone to attend who could help volunteer time and/or resources to assist our guests, in particular with advice and guidance, providing services or event management. No need to book in advance.
At 13:30 on 10th May - NOT at the same venue as the first meeting, but to be decided close to the centre of Melksham
10, 17, 24, 31 May
From their mailing list; I have mirrored at http://www.ukraine2uk.info/lib/wcnews_20220429.pdf

QuoteThis newsletter provides updates and guidance for Wiltshire sponsors of Ukrainian refugees.
A resource prepared by the National Association for Therapeutic parents for use by Ukrainian families, recently arrived in Britain.

"We welcome you and hope that you will feel safe in Britain. On your journey here you may have felt that once you arrived all would be well with you and your children. However, it takes time to settle in a new country and both you and your children will be carrying feelings and memories from the war that you left behind. You may also be grieving for friends and family that have perished over the last months ...."

The document is guidance for parents with children who need help settling into their new life.

http://ukraine2uk.info/lib/NATP_338.pdf
Now that a number of guests from Ukraine have arrived in the area, various meet-ups are being arranged. I will add them to this thread as I hear of them (starting over the weekend) and add them to our calendar.    Please add others or let me know by message or email.

Acum că în zonă au ajuns o serie de oaspeți din Ucraina, se organizează diverse întâlniri. Le voi adăuga în acest thread pe măsură ce aud de ele (începând din weekend) și le voi adăuga în calendarul nostru. Vă rugăm să adăugați alții sau să-mi spuneți prin mesaj sau e-mail.

Теперь, когда в этот район прибыло несколько гостей из Украины, организуются различные встречи. Я добавлю их в эту ветку, как только узнаю о них (начиная с выходных), и добавлю их в наш календарь. Пожалуйста, добавьте других или дайте мне знать в сообщении или по электронной почте.
In answer to a question on whether Ukrainian guests should intergrate - a response from the Facebook page (public but well buried) from Lisa who came from the USA some 25 years ago.

QuoteI completely agree with your feeling that the Ukrainian families should integrate into the community once they are settled. I immigrated to the UK from the US, and when I arrived back in 1998 I was confident I could just slip in unnoticed and melt into the woodwork because I spoke the same language. But that didn't happen. Light switches were all backwards to my habit and I kept turning off lights when I wanted them on. Don't get me going about how children use rubbers to erase pencil mistakes. It. Was. Different. And I felt different. And every time I opened my mouth everyone knew I was different. It was only when I came across an online group of Americans who'd settled in the UK that I felt I wasn't going nuts. And gradually, over time, I learned to say "lifts" and "bonnets" and eat with both hands, fork in my left and knife in my right. It all feels natural now. All except for the light switch thing. I still turn off lights when I want them on.

But I wasn't fleeing from a war-torn country into a private home of total strangers. Ukrainians who have left everything behind need to be with people who know their own experience right now. They need to connect with those who understand. There is trauma too difficult to comprehend by us who have not experienced it.

Over time they will blend in. But there's one huge difference in this logic. They want to go back home and rebuild. They have hope their stay in the UK is a temporary safe haven. Some may not even want to take the time to learn the language because this hope is so strong inside them that they fear that if they try they are giving into the idea the war will be lost.

Please do not force integration. It will happen to those open to it.

As for other organisations to have meet-ups, it's up to them to provide.
Thank you to [name to be added] for a further post to our Facebook group - two more banking options

QuoteTo open a bank account.

Yesterday with Tetiana who is a guest of Georgia Browne we went to HSBC bank in Chippenham, they opened an account during 20 minutes. It is needed just a ukrainian international pasport. Ukrainian mobile number is ok. Bank card will arrive to sponsor's address during 5 working days. Wish a very best to Alex from this bank!

Also, for benefits and other payments it is really comfortable to open an account in Monzo - it is online bank with a very suitable app. You do not need to go to the bank, all documents are upploading throught the Monzo app from phone. They are sending card by post as well. I am using this bank more then 1 year and it is suites me. So, could recommend for people who are busy to go to the bank.

#openbankaccount
#bank
#monzo
#HSBCbank
I've heard it said "if you go and live in a country, the least you can do is to make an effort to learn a little of the language".  And at the same time, I am noting reports of guests from Ukraine who have arrived and are making no effort, and of potential guests we are corresponding with resolutely using only Ukrainian in their emails.  How do I square that circle?

1. Many of our potential guests, in their hearts, are coming to the UK for only a very short stay. They look forward to returning home very soon, motivated by a love of their country and a knowledge that they will have all the more rebuilding work to do there as the war has passed to and fro over their territory. So learning a different language, with a different character set, for a few weeks is not high up their motivation list.

2. In the normal course of events, the flows of people between countries is of the more outgoing, motivated characters. This is not the normal course of events, though, and people are flowing through necessity rather than desire. People of fewer words, in any language, than perhaps our UK / online members are use to.

Some further thoughts

1. I'm not personally optimistic that our guests will only be with us for a few weeks; undoubtedly, there will be some who return even in spite of risks or to safe(r) places, but I'm sure there are others for whom weeks anticipated may turn into months, years, or even a lifetime.  It is simply too early for most guests to know this - the short term fleeing as refugees is traumatic, and when settled, seeing the world from here, and seeing how things change they have time to decide.

2. I read some heart-string-pulling requests for sponsorship. And these are all toe more remarkable because they come from people who are normally very private - if you are a British reader of this, put yourself in their shoes - how would YOU feel about broadcasting your situation to the world, describing your family, personal habits, and perhaps adding pictures to make your request stand out from the crowd?
From ... https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence/y/yes/car-or-motorcycle/a-designated-country-or-territory-countries-or-territories-with-exchange-agreements-with-great-britain/ukraine

QuoteExchange a foreign driving licence

You can continue to drive in the UK without exchanging your licence for 12 months after becoming resident.

After 12 months you must exchange your licence to keep driving. You can exchange it up to 5 years after becoming resident, if it has not expired.

If your licence allows you to drive manual vehicles, you can usually exchange it for a UK licence that allows you to drive manual vehicles.

It seems that Ukraine has been added (late) to the list of designated countries - the "Pass me fast" website at https://www.passmefast.co.uk/resources/driving-advice/exchange-foreign-driving-licence is useful once you look over the glaring error that it does not list Ukraine!
From The Guardian yesterday:

QuoteFigures show 40,000 UK visas have been issued under the Homes for Ukraine scheme – yet only 6,600 Ukrainians have arrived.

A whistleblower working on Britain's Homes for Ukraine scheme has revealed that he and his colleagues "don't know what we're doing", and claims the scheme has been "designed to fail" in order to limit numbers entering the UK.

Thank goodness we have a free press in the UK - able to publish such things to broaden the discussion. 

QuoteThe whistleblower said he came across four or five cases each day in which a single child from a family had not received permission to travel, a pattern he believed was "too much of a coincidence" for it not to have been encouraged.

A government source said that family applications were "normally processed together" but cases differed in complexity, and that safeguarding processes were in place to protect children from trafficking.

Undoubtedly, the UK system of visas makes it far, far harder for guests to come here to "wait out" the war than for them to go to a European country in the Schengen area.  It means that the outcome in the UK is likely to be that we have far fewer guests here than in other countries, and that the guests we receive are likely to be those who are very determined to come here, and have the skill to jump all the hurdles.

HOWEVER ... for the process of this group looking to bring guests from Ukraine to North and West Wiltshire, we have successes and welcome those who make it through the system with open hearts and arms.